Sunday, April 21, 2013

Blog Post #13


#1
Today I was introduced, via blogger, to Brian Crosby who teaches at Agnes Risley Elementary School in Sparks, Nevada. In his blog, he posted the video Back to the Future, which encouraged me to never think a narrow curriculum is the only way to teach students. He began by identifying his students as second language learners who were at risk, and also students of poverty. After learning this, Crosby immediately made a questionnaire for his students with questions, such as, where they lived. Many of the students were not able to answer the questions correctly because they were taught the material needed to pass a test.

In Crosby's classroom, the students were able to work with computers and write in their personal blogs. Crosby informed the audience, in the video, how he was able to get the students excited about learning science and other subject areas. The students enjoyed being able communicate with other students and people around the world about what they were doing in the classroom. This enhanced the students writing and communication skills.

I love learning and hearing about teachers, like Brian Crosby, who are willing to take time and extra effort to
make a difference in their students. Brian introduced his students to technology in a way they were able to shine. His students improved tremendously and became active learners. The students went from being taught how to learn to a teacher who challenged them to learn on their own.  Brian Crosby taught his student to be connected, empowered, active, collaborative, and motivated.

At the end of his lecture, Crosby shared how his students were able to connect with their new classmate who was not able to attend class.  This particular student was diagnosed with Leukemia, but that did not stop Brian. The student was able to interact and learn with her classmates by video feed. I enjoyed learning how Brian Crosby was able to overcome the obstacles in his classroom, and also his determination to teach his students.



#2

Today I watched the video Blended Learning Cycle created by Paul Anderson. Paul introduced this strategy by breaking the words down into blended learning and learning cycle. Blended learning is a combination of using online, mobile, and classroom learning to teach. The learning cycle consist of exploring, expanding, engaging, explaining, and then evaluating. When blended learning and leaning cycle are combined students answer questions, investigate, elaborate, review, and take summary quizzes. I feel the blended learning cycle can be a positive improvement on how teachers present a subject, involve the students, and assess students. As an educator I will be more than willing to implement this particular strategy in my own classroom, and I believe it will help students comprehend what has been taught.

2 comments:

  1. Katelin,
    I also enjoyed watching Paul Anderson's video. I thought it was very interesting and helpful. When I was reading your post, you said that you thought that his blended learning cycle could be a positive improvement on how teachers present a subject as well as being a great way to involve and assess students. I completely agree! One of the reasons I liked the blended learning cycle so much is that it is student focused. All of his ideas are centered around his students' best interests and their learning needs. I think it would be a great way to present a new subject to students because you are grabbing their attention from the very beginning. As you stated in your post, I will also be willing to implement this strategy into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part was the little girl that was sick, but still got to be included. How special was that!It is just another example where technology is a positive thing. I enjoyed Paul Anderson's video because I believe he has a perfect formula for teaching. I would be more than willing to give his strategies a try.

    ReplyDelete